Monday, May 29, 2006

This weekend...















I decided since I have been bad about posting lately I would post a whole bunch of pictures today. Saturday Felix and I decided to take a day trip up to Lake Superior. It is only 2 1/2 hours to Duluth, and then 45 more minutes along the north shore of Lake Superior to the first of a whole line of state parks. We did take our camping gear in case we found an empty camp spot, but there were none, and that was fine because even if we had stayed to go camping overnight we would have had to leave first thing in the morning so I could make underwater hockey. This weekend it was REALLY hot here in the cities, it got up to 97 on Saturday!!! Another reason why I strategically planned the trip north, it was in the 60's at Gooseberry Falls State Park (and prolly even colder right next to the lake where it was REALLy windy).

My pictures are in reverse order starting with the end of our day. On our way home we stopped to eat at Culvers in a city called Two Harbors. Before dinner we followed signs to a lighthouse and parked, walked down the breakwall and watched a freighter leave the dock after being filled with iron ore (i think)... and then another one pulled in. It was really funny because when we got there, there were only a few other cars in the lot, everyone must know the freighter schedule or something because by the time we got ready to leave the whole parking lot was full, and many of the cars were full of people who just pulled up to watch the freighters.

The next couple of pictures are of us posing next to the water fall, (initially we were making fun of another couple who seemed to be really serious about their pictures and poses). Oh, something I forgot to point out about the first picture... do you notice how my hair is BLOWING in the wind... yes I have not cut it in a while... I have a bit of an afro poof going on... but i was getting bored with the buz cut that I have had since 98'. Not to say I won't buz it again... but yeah... right now it can blow in the wind.. and it is kinda annoying, in a good way most of the time.

The last couple of pictures are from our first stop, that would be Duluth at the aerial lift bridge. They take the whole street straight up into the sky so that the big freighters can get through to the protected waters. There is a museum right there at the bridge which lets visitors know when a freighter will be coming, we just happened to be there at the right time. Just in case you have never seen a freighter from one of the great lakes they are HUGE, you can see just how big they are by looking at the side of this one... see they little port hole, that is a man inside of it.

And my very last picture... ahh the sea gulls... yeah they are annoying, but not half as annoying as the fudgies (tourists) who decide it is a good idea to feed them.. I was trying to eat my hot dog in peace and then one of the fudgies next to me decided to feed them... yeah i had to run for cover with my hotdog... dumb fudgies! I hope they all got crapped on!

Today we spent all day working on building some more cedar planters, I will post images of these once they are planted. We built one for two more of my tomato plants (I have six tomato plants total), and one for my herbs. Felix is on his flight to Austin again. I think he does more work for 3M Austin than he does here! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics...that is great birding country up there...wish i was along. It was 92 degrees and muggy here.