Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day Two Tuesday, May 20th

Day two I took a lot more pictures. This is the new city hall. This is what you see when you come up the escalator from the S-Bonn at Marienplatz.

I think that the building in the background is the old city hall. This is in the same courtyard as the new city hall.

Here is the new city hall again. It is the building with the fancy glockenspiel. I saw it go off multiple times.

I enjoyed wandering around the streets of downtown Munich and just looking at stores. This one had lots of dried fruits and fruit candies.

Yummy Yummy.... Lecker Lecker

I climbed to the top of the bell tower in St. Peters. The climb was a very narrow stair case. I went early in the morning before it got too busy.

Here is a shot from the top of St. Peters looking down at the new city hall.

Here is a picture just looking down. It was a very windy day. Windy and cool. It drizzled a lot while we were in Munich I was glad I brought my umbrella!

Here is another church, this one is called the Frauenkirche. I didn't climb this one... I don't remember why.
Here is the inside of the FrauenKirche.

Just a shot of some of the buildings downtown.

In my last post I had mentioned the flowering trees that like to drop their blooms in your beer. This would be a pink one. Most of them have white flowers. This one had pink so I took a picture.

I liked to ride the Trams (Street cars), and get off when I saw something interesting. Here I think I was on the east side of Munich. I had a really good snack here though. Some sort of pastry one with sheep's cheese, and one with spinach filling. I loved walking around and finding goodies. I basically ate my way through Munich.

This is in the same area as the above picture with the May pole. Another church. I don't know the name of this one, nor did I go inside.

MMMM.... every day I walked through the Viktualien Market. The Viktualien Market is like a huge farmers market in downtown Munich. I took a picture of the eggs because while on this trip I rediscovered something I loved when I was little. Soft cooked egg. At the hotel we were staying at they had soft cooked eggs on the breakfast buffet every morning with cute little egg cups and tiny little spoons for scooping the egg out.

MMM here I found some fresh lychee fruit. I had never tried lychee fruit before (other than from a can) so I got some and tried them. They were really good.

There was this great Greek food stand with marinated Calamari, Olives... other types of seafood... and dips. It all looked so good!

Then there was a fruit stand that specialized in exotic fruits.

Here is a picture of the May Pole in the Viktualien Market. Every town had at least one May Pole. This is how they look in Bavaria but when you get out of Bavaria they look different. I will post the different May poles in later posts.

This is the view from out of our hotel room. We stayed in a really nice little town south west of Munich called Wessling. Our hotel had an AMAZING breakfast buffet. All sorts of pastries, and buns (my favorite was the pumpkin seed semmil- semmil is what a bun is called in Bavaria), they also had musli and yogurt, fresh fruit, fruit salad, and an assortment of toppings for the bread including Nutella and jams and a great spread of meats and cheeses.

I had to take a picture of our bed, or should I say beds?? In Germany you don't have different size beds like we do here. You only have one size and they can be pushed together to make a bed for two. I think the way they make the bed is cute. The orangeish blanket you see at the foot of the bed was just a short blanket to cover the end of the bed if you layed down during the day with your shoes on (to keep the beds clean). For sleeping you have a white down duvet that is folded in half in the middle of the bed. And the pillows are HUGE.


Outside of our hotel there was a big old barn with 3 goats and a black bunny. Here is a cute video of mom and baby goat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and comment, Mandy. Grandma are enjoying your trip.

Grandpa

Check Rosie's blog. You will find it interesting.