Thursday was a state holiday in Bavaria so Felbie didn't have to work. His parents drove down with their RV so that we could use it on our way back up to their place after our week in Munich. We met up with them on Thursday to spend the day with them. This first picture is just down an ally off the road going to our hotel. My mom was surprised that there was a barn next to the hotel so I wanted to post this picture so that she could see how the area looked. That is part of the barn on the left side of the picture. Everything here was pretty close together.

Felbie's parents took us for a walk next to a really nice lake south of Munich called Starnberger See. There were a lot of sailboats. I found this bush that was the same kind of bush we had in our garden in Madison, WI. So I decided we needed to have our picture in front of it. It smelled so good.

Here is a picture of the lake (and a tree.) King Ludwig died in this lake, it is still debated over whether it was murder or whether he drowned himself. King Ludwig was the crazy king who was famous for building many many of the extravagant castles. His favorite bird was the swan and there were many swans decorating Schloss Neuschwanstein. (That was the last castle he built). More on that later... we visited that one.

This was just a cute little house on the water that we saw. It had it's own little zwiebel dome.

The next two pictures I took because it made Susi giggle. Their favorite neighbor built a cone shaped pile of rocks in her back yard just like the one here in this back yard. Apparently this type of rock garden is common in Bavaria and that is where their neighbor is from.


I really enjoyed going to Munich first and then traveling up north to Rhauderfehn because I got to see such a difference in building types. (And May pole styles). :) It seems like in Bavaria there are a lot of colorful buildings with paintings on them and decorative windows. I also got to see some people wearing their traditional dress, since it was a holiday each little town had their own little celebration. That is also why there are so many colorful flags out.

After we got done walking by Starnberger See we drove south and then east and arrived at this little town on a very pretty river. I think (if I remember correctly) the name of this town is Bad Toelz.





Zwiebel Dome...

Zwiebel Dome... I don't remember if I mentioned this before or not but Zwiebel Dome's on the church steeples are something you only see on southern churches. They have different styles up north.

I took a lot of window pictures in this town....

I just love the colorful buildings...

and decorative windows.

Oh yeah, and I love
Schnaps....

and gelato.

But not as much as Felbie!

That night I got to try Schweinehaxe. (Roasted pork knuckle with crispy skin and tender meat on the inside.) Felbie had been talking about Schweinehaxe for a long time because it is hard to find raw pork hocks here to make it out of, most pork hocks you find here are smoked and to make this dish you have to slow roast it with a beer crust. I was very FULL after eating this meal! So we had some Schnaps.
No comments:
Post a Comment