Friday, June 20, 2008

Day Ten, Wednesday 28th

Wednesday we got up with the visions of naked sauna on our mind. So the plan was to head to Franken Therme in Bad Koenigshofen. First we decided to go into town (Wuerzburg) to explore and pick up some bakery goodies. Our camping platz was outside of town next to the outlet mall so we hadn't gotten a chance to go into town the night before.

Wuerzburg is on a river... what river? Hmmmm... not sure right now... but perhaps I will edit this post later to correct that. I also had to go back a few days and make some corrections to some existing posts today because I got confused as to where we were when.

More swans! (They must be following us!)

All the stores had stuff out in the street so just walking up and down the main street you could shop without having to go inside.
Sliding shutters....
Window frames painted blue... nice.
Yeah the buildings really lean in towards each other. How this happens I dunno...


I like windows... there were a lot of windows in churches with this pattern.
When we got to the Franken Therme we found it open and they had plenty of space for our RV. We picked a really nice corner spot in the lot. The only problem was that it was Wednesday and on Wednesday's at the Franken Therme it is lady's day in the sauna. So Felbie had to stay in the pools while I hung out with a bunch of naked women. He thought it was particularly unfair since they don't have a "man's day" on the calendar. :) They had multiple pools inside and out. A water slide and a steam room. The most interesting pool was one of the outdoor pools. It had all natural water in it (not treated with chlorine), it is pumped directly from the spring often enough that they don't need to chlorinate it. The pool is concrete and has a cave and bubblers and spray showers and a slimy bottom. Everything was covered in algae and slippery.

The sauna was nice. Every hour on the hour for about 5 hours I participated in aufguss. Aufguss is where an employee pours a scented liquid over the hot coals and then whips a towel around in the air to fan the really hot air from the ceiling down onto us. It is like really hot wind beating down on you and I love it. They also did other special things during aufguss and I never knew what to expect because I didn't have my Felbie with me to translate. It was an adventure. At the last aufguss of the day woman doing the work came in and asked us what we wanted to drink then came back with a very VERY large beer stein of some sort of juice which we passed around and shared. Then she took a mixture of half and half alcohol and water and poured it on each of our backs and then gave us a massage with a roller ball thingie. Then she brought chunks of ice for us to rub on our bodies as she did the aufguss and the hot air beat down! Love it! I was trying to find another explanation of aufguss online and ran into this person's experience in a German sauna. It was pretty funny.

No comments: