
I decided that it would be a good idea to try to pick up the oven hot pan with my bare hand, no not from the oven (I had used a hot pad for that), it was only after it had been sitting on top of the stove for thirty seconds that I had forgotten that it had just come out of the oven. So, yeah, I gave myself a nice burn on the inside of my hand and fingers. The rest of the day (that was Saturday) I carried a cold coke around, everywhere, even grocery shopping, after a while at Cubs I traded my Coke for a package of frozen spinach. (The Coke got warm). I think I confused the cashier when I told her that would like to carry my frozen spinach separate. Haha. Come evening my hand still hurt if I didn't hold something cold to it so I went to bed with an Ace Bandage wrapped around my hand holding the coke can so that I wouldn't drop it when I fell asleep. Haha.

Sunday we went for a hike and while my hand didn't really hurt anymore it was tender and very dry/tight feeling, so I put some sun burn gel on my hand and then put it in a plastic glove to keep it moist. Once we got home in the afternoon and I let my hand dry out it was just fine. (Cept some red marks) I was actually successful at keeping the blisters from rising, (I was mostly upset because I missed a day of knitting.)
Today I decided that it was time to do something with the last of my tomatoes from my garden. And decided to try a sauce recipe that I had. It turned out REALLY good and it was really easy to make... so here is the recipe....
Roasted Tomato Sauce:
Makes 4 1/2 cups
Prep time 30 minutes
total time 1 hour 30 minutes
What You'll Need:
-3 lbs tomatoes (beefsteak or plum) - I used my early girl tomatoes and they worked fine..
-1 medium onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
-2 carrots, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
-4 garlic cloves (peeled)
-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use a sharp paring knife to core the tomatoes. Cut tomatoes in half; put them in a bowl with onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme.
2. Toss tomato mixture with olive oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Turn tomatoes cut side down. Roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. If vegetables begin to brown too quickly, push them toward the center of the sheet. (It is ok if the tomato skins start to burn because they will be peeled off).
3. When done roasting using tongs or your fingers, peel off tomato skins; discard. Transfer mixture (including juices) to a blender; pulse several times, until chunky. Let cool completely; transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 1 week, or freeze up to 3 months (thaw before using).

2 comments:
How timely I was just getting ready to get out in the garage and pick over my tomatoes to make a batch of sauce. Thanks, I'm trying this one.
apple oven pancake-------hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Das wäre ein passender Nachtisch für heute - obwohl wir eigentlich voll genug sind von den diversen asiatischen Leckereien die wir heute in uns gestopft haben - was anderes konnten wir ja nicht tun bei dem Dauerregen in Vancouver. Sind halt über die verschiedenen Märkte geschlendert und haben dort was probiert usw.usw......
Post a Comment