Yup, two blogs in one day... whew, felt like I needed to do some catch-up since I hadn't blogged in a week.... i have been having alot of fun with my herb garden lately. I have (from left to right) cilantro, basil, jem marigolds, chives, and rosemary. Jem marigolds are small marigolds which are edible. I could use them to decorate sushi or a cake, or sugar them and put them on cupcakes... ect... but I think they are pretty as is in my garden. The basil has been growing like crazy and I have already had to harvest it multiple times. I usually throw it into the food processor with some olive oil and then freeze the chopped up basil and olive oil mixture for later use in recipe and sauces in an ice cube tray. I also cook often with the fresh stuff. And my favorite topping for a NY steak is herbed butter. Garlic herb butter is also good inside of hamburgers. For the garlic herbed butter I usually use a tablespoon chopped basil, a tablespoon chopped chives, and a tablespoon chopped parsley, two chopped garlic cloves and mix them up with one stick of soft butter. Then you roll it up in some plastic wrap and freeze it. When you want to put some on a piece of steak or inside of a hamburger you can just cut a slice off.

I had to take a picture of the first steak I grilled on my new grill. I was very proud of my perfect grill marks. :)

The type of butter I used on these steaks is tarragon butter, just three tablespoons of chopped tarragon and one stick butter.

And here is another hat that I made... this one I call my "snork" hat... since it reminded me of a snorkel from the old cartoon "Snorks" I gave it to my friend Beena since I play underwater hockey with her.
10 comments:
Nice hat. Hey I want you to make me one of these:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATThallowig.html
Funny hats! Your herb garden looks great. Keep picking stuff so it doesn't go to seed. You can also pick the basil and put it in plastic bags in the freezer. When you pull it out in the frozen state it is brittle and breaks up just right to add to the end of cooling. My heirloom tomato, Brandywine, is the best tasting of my tomatoes this year...mmmmmm
Oh my gosh that is so funny! I want a Hallowig too!
abbie is going to need a new winter hat this year ya know ... hint hint ...can you do pigtails?!? maybe you shouldn't post your hats...everyone is going to want one! the hallowig was awesome too. i can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Sure I can make her a hat... by pigtails do you mean two tassles on top instead of one? How big is her head? It is easy to fit adult hats because as I knit I just try it on... so yeah... I haven't tried to make kid hats, but I will if you measure the circumference of her head... or I can just guess and she can grow into it if it is too big. :) What color is her winter coat... oh wait lemme guess PINK! :)
she doesn't have a winter coat yet, but i'm almost positive it is going to be pink. she has a small head i think, but i can measure it tomorrow. and yeah...by pigtails i meant two tassles...one is fine i was kidding! you know...if you were really into it you could probably make them and sell them...either through word of mouth or on ebay. abbie can be your model! :) seton fest is this weekend...wanna go with us?
yeah, i thought about selling them on ebay, but then i looked at some other knit hats (granted they weren't as cool as mine), but they didn't seem to sell to well.... sure i'd love to go to seton fest, virtually right? Post the pics!
Mandy,
Those steaks look good. You're making us hungry.
dad
How is Felix's leg. Have you taught him how to handle a chisel?
Dad
haha... it is healing... the problem is that he dosen't have a workbench to clamp things to while he is working... (that is why he is making a workbench)... i think that he was trying to hold the wood between his legs when he was chiseling... i don't think he will do that again! :) As for the steaks... I'll make some for you and Mom when you come visit... I told her that I would tell her when Felix's parents would be here so you guys could come up and meet them at the same time.
Post a Comment