Friday, November 06, 2009

The Cedar Strips

We had practiced with the mystery wood from Menards and now on to the real wood. The "clear" cedar.... I say "clear" because it is not supposed to have any knots in it.... because it is supposed to be clear. It has some... we will have to work around them. Anyhow... first things first...

Once we started ripping our first board we decided we needed more stable saw horses... so we made four of these little oak guys. Aren't they pretty? Almost too pretty to be saw horses...
All set up to start ripping the strips... see how nice the saw horses sit?
Strips ripped and bundled...
See all the color!
The following weekend we routed the cove and bead into them...

Bundled again after routing...
All the dust made from routing... this is a BIG vacuum and it is full!
Playing around with the wood grain and patterns... I am going to work this into the design on the top of the kayak...

Some of the knots I had mentioned we will have to work around... :P
Plain cedar for the bottom of the hull.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I can almost smell that cedar all the way from Indy. There has to be something you can do with cedar dust. I don't think my worms would like is though.