Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rouladen Und Knoedel Und Handschuhe (hand shoes or gloves)

Last weekend Felbie and I made Rouladen und Knoedel, with red cabbage and apples. The Rouladen and Knoedel we made from scratch, the red cabbage was found in a jar at IKEA and we added the apples.

Knoedel before being cooked...
Knoedel being made...
Help!
Rouladen recipe that we didn't use because Felbie said it wasn't right... I think it asked for sardines or something. We found a few recipes online and combined them. Rouladen is beef pounded thin and then rolled up with onion, Dijon mustard, pickles, and bacon. At least that is what ours were, then you sear them off and simmer them in red wine until they are done.
Knoedel are dumplings that are made out of old rolls. We didn't have any old rolls so we went out and bought some rolls and dried them out in the oven!
Knoedels getting boiled... they are very similar to what people know as "dumplings"
And the cabbage... totally cheated here... thanks IKEA
My favorite apron.
And the finished products...
The sauce was SOOOO good! It was just red wine and onions that the beef simmered in thickened up with some corn starch.
The inside of the rouladen...
I also started some gloves last weekend. I cannot decide if I want them to have fingers or not. I was thinking about making some gloves that only had half fingers and then a little "hood" to go over the fingers that is removable so that I can have my fingers free to use my camera. I started them on Saturday and as of Sunday night they developed a pinkie and ring finger. These may get partially unraveled if I decide on the half fingers...

These pictures are from Sunday morning I think... before I had started on the fingers...
Thank you to Susi for all the beautiful sock yarn! That is what this yarn is. It is great for my gloves, they won't be too bulky with this yarn.

No comments: