Monkey and Elephant...
Hat...
Kitty cat hoodie...
To see pictures of the girls check out Alex and Scooters blog... (link on the right)My mom was asking about a crab cake recipe that I make while they were in town. I LOVE crab cakes... no wait... let me revise that... I love THESE crab cakes... I don't like crab cakes that are overly bread-ish, or spiced, or ones that taste like green pepper... so these are great... I get the crab at Costco. They have some good stuff that I have yet to find any shells in. It's in the refrigerated section (even though it is in a can you still have to keep it cool). Anyhow... here is the recipe... it comes from the Chicagoist web site...
Ingredients...
1 lb pound lump crab meat
1/2 cup olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestire Sauce
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/4 cups panko crumbs (3/4 for the filling, the rest for the breading)
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 - 1 cup vegetable oil (I don't use this much... use as much as you are comfortable with, they don't need to be deep fried)
What you do...
1. Pour about and inch's worth of vegetable oil into a cast iron (or other heavy duty frying pan) and heat. You're looking for an oil temperature around 375 degrees.
2. Mix the crab, olive oil, eggs, spices, mayonnaise and juice all together.
3. Add 3/4 cup panko and 2 tablespoons flour.
4. Form cakes in the same way you would form a hamburger... but maybe slightly smaller.
5. Dip the cakes in the remaining panko bread.
6. Once the oil is hot enough, throw those cake right in!
7. Give each side about five minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and have an internal temperature of about 145 degrees.
8. Serve with lemon wedges and lettuce. Tartar sauce and ketchup are optional.
Did that say ketchup???!!!! EW... I would not put tartar sauce on them either... I reserve tartar sauce for fishy fish that I don't really want to taste... not scrumptious crabby cakes like these! Bah! Ok so that is the recipe... I like to make a full recipe, Felix and I usually eat about two each and that leaves a little more than half a recipe left... so I freeze those cakes (before cooking) and they make a quick dinner and are easy to defrost in the microwave and then fry up real quick.

1 comment:
Mandy,
If you want to know just how bad crab meat in a can smells after storing it in the cupboard, just ask Grandma & Granpa!!!! It will knock your socks off!!
Post a Comment