At the start of our hike we saw the "acorn" tree... tree famous for all of its acorn holes left by woodpeckers.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
04.12.09 Sunday
Sunday Felbie and I went for a 16 mile hike at Point Reyes National Seashore. It was a beautiful day, cool breeze by the water and warm in the shelter of the trees. The first part of our hike was wooded and hilly and then it dropped us into some shrub covered hills that overlooked the pacific for the downhill part. We stopped and had a lunch of Mexican pastries that we had brought with us at a cliff overlooking the ocean and then hiked back on a flat trail in Bear Valley.
At the start of our hike we saw the "acorn" tree... tree famous for all of its acorn holes left by woodpeckers.
There were alot of Banana slugs on the trails... I almost stepped on a few!
This is what the beginning of our hike looked like...
In the trees, in the shade...
Everyonce in a while the trees would open up at the top of a hill and you could see the Pacific.
There were lots of lizards on the trail laying out to get warm. They always moved before you stepped on them, which is more than I can say for the lazy snakes. I would have stepped on two snakes if Felbie hadn't yanked me out of the way in time.
Along with the California poppies these were all over. Dunno what they were but they are pretty.
It was a beautiful day... the land you can see in the distance is Point Reyes. The clouds you see surrounding the point is fog... alot of times it is foggy out there when it is warm and sunny in the rest of the park. It creates it's own weather being so far out there in the Pacific.
What the second part of our hike looked like. We forgot to wear sunscreen and got a little burned.
Felbie
The view from the cliff we had our lunch on.
It was windy up there.
After our hike we drove to Drakes beach which is on the way out to Point Reyes.
It was foggy here and much cooler.
The sun was still peeking through the clouds though.
Felbie touched the water and found out it was cold.
I think this is one of the prettier beaches.
I only came here this one time with Felbie, it is a pretty popular beach and I was trying to avoid people. Later in the week when it warmed up there probabally were a lot of people out there.
I think the tide was out because it looked like these rocks are usually covered at high tide.

Next we drove all the way out to the tip of Point Reyes where the lighthouse is. It was really foggy and windy here. The fog was condensing on the trees here and raining on us under the trees.
The sun was trying to shine through...
But it wasn't having much luck.
We saw alot of these guys... are the Deer or Elk??? Dunno?
Point Reyes is mostly pasture land and is famous for it's blue cheese. I never did get a chance to try some while I was out there. Oh well... next time...

This happy California cow excaped... there were two of them trotting along the side of the road.
More happy cows.
This is what the drive out to Point Reyes looks like, that is, when you are not driving on a hill... there were lots of steep and curvy areas and all the tourists liked to go soooooo slow in these areas and then speed in the straight aways... they drove us nuts. Note the double yellow line... yeah, not much opportunity to pass... you are supposed to pull over and let faster traffic through. That happened occassionally.
This is one of my favorite hills. It resides between the park and Petaluma (where I dropped Felbie off every morning), I came out to the park multiple times so I got to drive around and over this hill a few times. Needless to say I got very good at driving the curvy hills and found myself frusterated behind a few BMW's and Audi's who were driving as if they were a semi. Haha.
At the start of our hike we saw the "acorn" tree... tree famous for all of its acorn holes left by woodpeckers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment