Tuesday, April 21, 2009

04.10.09 Friday - Touring wine country.

On Friday I dropped Felbie off at work in Petaluma and took the 101 north to Geyserville, then I got off the 101 and drove to Calistoga. The two pics below are taken between Geyerville and Calistoga on Hwy 128. It was a very scenic drive.


Once I got to Calistoga I had lunch at Busters BBQ. This is the tri tip sandwich. Buster told me the tri tip is the lazy mans brisket and everyone in California is lazy so this is what you find for BBQ in Cali, the tri tip. I had a side of macaroni salad with it.
Inside Buster's looking out.
Buster grilling the tri tip.
Outside Busters.
California poppies in Calistoga....
Palm.
Wisteria.
After leaving Calistoga I continuted on through St. Helena, Rutherford, Yountville and then Napa. Once I got to Napa it started pouring down rain on me. This stretch of highway is lined with the large wineries like Robert Mondavi. I didn't take any pics since it was pouring down rain. It was a very flat valley. Some of the wineries tasting buildings were interesting looking though. After driving through Napa I got on Hwy 12 and took that over to Sonoma where I seemed to have out run the rain. But you could see the dark clouds in the distance... here is a picture of an old historic church that was on the square in the city of Sonoma.
Picture taken from the square in Sonoma.
I took a walk in downtown Sonoma to a small state park that has a historic victorian house and grounds open to tour.
From inside the house...
Outside in the garden were oranges... I couldn't reach them though.
Outside looking in, there were multiple out buildings. Here I am looking in the guest house, you can see the main house in the reflection.
Out back there was a reservoir/pond area with a walkway right next to it.
There were tons of turtles in it.
And they all swam towards me like they wanted something from me.
The walk...
There was a white duck in the fountain out front.
A picture from my walk back to the city square where I had parked. I was walking towards the ominous dark clouds and hoping I would get to my car before it rained again.
The rain seemed to have followed me all they way from Minnesota.
The nice side of the sky... what I was walking away from.
On my walk back I caught a guy yelling at his dog because it was barking while he was inside. Haha.
Still walking back to the car....
Still walking.... I back a different way than I had come and walked too far and had to back track a few blocks...oops... then it started to rain on me. :P Very lightly, nothing like what I drove through in Napa.
Gnarly old vines.

No comments: